A recipe for beef barbacoa nachos in the instant pot. This recipe uses the slow…
Not living in my hometown makes me miss some snacks that you can *only* get in the South. One of my first stops, when I go home, is pulling over at a gas station and getting a styrofoam cup of cajun boiled peanuts. It’s nothing like wonderful boiled peanuts but the added flavor of cajun seasoning makes them taste better.
Unfortunately, I do not get home as often as I would like. So I have to create a home wherever I am. I have had cajun boiled peanuts made outside on fire in a large pot. And they are good. Great even. But I’m not as inclined to stand outside over a pot of boiling water. I’m southern but even I have limits. So I decided to modernize it and at the same time not sacrifice the flavor.
Do not be intimidated by the time it takes to make this recipe. Even though I did make it with the slow cooker, I actually used my instant pot. Yes, there is a slow cooker function on the instant pot. And I used it to make the cajun boiled peanuts. What I love about it, is the highest time (on my instant pot) is 20 hours. Which is precisely the amount of time it takes to make this recipe.
Cajun boiled peanuts are as spicy as you would like to be. As much as I am a ‘hot head’- I simply love the flavor. If you’re going to use peppers, I would not suggest jalapeno as they are not consistently “hot.” I would only use a chili pepper.
I’m a fan of Slap Ya Mama cajun seasoning but you’re welcome to use the one of your choice. This recipe is honestly too simple to even complicate. But I will add one critical step. Make SURE you dilute the salt with the water. Simply pouring the salt into the pot may not allow the salt to dissipate as it should. And over salty boiled peanuts are not good.
If you have not tried boiled peanuts- do not knock it until you try it. They’re delicious. Don’t be surprised if you eat them all in one sitting.
Slow Cooker Cajun Boiled Peanuts
- Instant Pot
- Slow Cooker
- 3 cups Raw peanuts
- 5 cups Water
- 1/3 cups kosher salt
- 1 red hot sliced chili pepper
- 3 tbsp Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning Or another cajun seasoning of choice
- 2 tbsp cayenne pepper
- Clean the raw peanuts removing dirt and debris.
- Slice chili pepper. Make sure to use gloves
- Place the peanuts and pepper in the slow cooker.
- Add the 1/3 of kosher salt to one cup of water and pour over the peanuts.
- Add the rest of the water.
- Add cajun seasoning and cayenne pepper. Stir to ensure properly distributed in the slow cooker.
- Place slow cooker on low setting and slow cook for 20 hours.
- At the halfway mark (10 hours) stir the contents and check if the liquid is still in the slow cooker. The water does not need to cover the peanuts but should be present in the bowl.
- Enjoy warm or hot!
- Can be frozen.