Instant Pot Beef Stew Instant Pot Beef Stew Instant Pot 1 ½ lbs Beef Stew…
A friend of mine is Jamaican and every time I make something that’s traditionally Jamaican I always tell her “I feel the judgment is the island coming over me!” LOL! It’s not that I feel judged but I always feel like my short cut methods are being judged by someone’s Jamaican grandmother. LOL
It is rare that I cook traditional dishes AND share them on the blog – but this one I feel as if I’ve mastered. In fairness it’s probably super Americanized so don’t go sharing this recipe to your family and have her cussing me out!
I really like oxtails. My husband, not so much. Which is perfect because…they are so darn expensive it works out perfectly that I make just enough for ONE person and a few days worth of leftovers. I mean I get why they are so expensive. Each cow only has ONE tail as opposed to the rest of the body which you can use in other ways. But still- it’s not something I eat too often and I definitely do not make enough for a crowd. I enjoy making it in my slow cooker because if I’m cooking dinner for both of us, I have enough room on my stove top to cook other items.
The other day I was in the grocery store and I got a deal on oxtails. And I figured- hey why not.
Check out the recipe below and let me know in the comments if you want try it.
The Best Ever Slow Cooker Oxtails
- Slow Cooker
- 2-3 lbs oxtails
- 2-3 sprigs thyme
- 1/4 cups Worchester sauce
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1-2 tbsp onion powder (to taste)
- 1-2 tbsp garlic powder (to taste)
Slow Cooker Ingredients
- 2 tbsp Better than Bouillon Beef
- 1 packet Beefy Onion Soup Mix
- 3 cups water
- 1 can Cream of Onion
- Season and marinade the oxtails with the marinade.
- Let sit AT LEAST 3-4 hours (or overnight).
- Just before searing the oxtails take them out of the refrigerator and allow to sit until they become room temperature.
- Get a dutch oven and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Turn stove on medium heat until the oil is hot
- Sear each side of the oxtails until brown (please note you are NOT cooking them you are searing)
- Turn the stove top off
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Spray the slow cooker with oil spray to coat
- Add the oxtails (and the drippings from the pan)
- Add the better than boullion, onion soup packet, cream of onion soup and water
- Stir to combine the ingredients.
- Cook low and slow for at least 4 hours (or more). NO PEEKING!