The best part about the fall (besides the beautiful leaves and of course pumpkins) is the amazing recipes. The recipes in and of themselves are tasty but they invite such an amazing scent into your house it just wraps you up in fall.
That’s the BEST part of making slow cooker apple cider- The Smell wafting through your home!
This recipe can be made alcoholic or non-alcoholic. Because we were having guests over- I made it non-alcoholic
But you can make it with alcohol. And it tastes even more amazing.
The Best Slow Cooker Apple Cider Recipe
- Slow Cooker
- Cheese Cloth
- 2 Large Bowls
- Apple Corer (optional but makes this process easier)
- Potato Masher
- 8-10 apples red and green apples. Preferably Granny Smith and Gala
- 2 Navel Oranges Quartered
- 2 Lemons Quartered
- 10 Cinnamon Sticks
- 6 cups brown sugar
- 4 tbsp whole cloves NOT GROUND- WHOLE CLOVES
- 6 cups water
- 4-6 cups dark rum OPTIONAL
To Prepare for the Crockpot
- Dice and split apples making sure to remove the seeds to the crock pot. I did not peel the apples.
- Add the oranges and lemons (I did not peel)
- Add 4 cups of brown sugar, 2 tbsp whole cloves, and 5-6 cinnamon sticks
- Add 6 cups of water
- Place slow cooker on 8 hours (can cook overnight)
Pressing The Apples to Prepare the Cider
- Remove oranges, lemons, and cinnamon sticks (they will widen) and discard. Please note, I only added the oranges and lemons for the citrus flavor not to press them for the juice.
- Take the potato masher and press the apples down to get the juice out
- Add the cheese cloth to another bowl making sure the outside drapes the side of the bowl
- Add the “pressed” apples to the cheese cloth. The juice will start to come out. Filter again to get all of the juice out
- Add the pressed juice back to the crock pot. Discard the apple portions (or save for another project/recipe)
- Add 5-6 more cinnamon sticks, 2 tbsp of whole cloves to the crock pot
- And the remaining 2 cups of brown sugar and additional water. However- if using alcohol add the entire bottle of dark rum (or less if you're a wimp HA!).
- Place on low for 4-5 more hours.
- Enjoy hot or cold (but it tastes best hot)