A few years ago as I started to grow pumpkin in The Harvey Garden I had to find recipes and things to do with them.
I used to make banana bread all the time in the summer so I figured I’d make a twist on that recipe and instead of bananas I would use pumpkin.
It took a while for me to craft the perfect recipe. And it was a lot of side eyes from people- “pumpkin bread?!”
And I would say “just try it.” One bite and they would be convinced.
Pumpkin bread in and of itself is actually very tasty. Suprisingly very tasty. When I made it in the past, I made it but just ate cream cheese almost like a spread. But I wanted to try it with a cream cheese filling. It tastes even better.
In fairness, this is a pretty intense recipe with all of the extra steps. But the final taste is totally worth it.
Check out the recipe below!
The Best Ever Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese Filling
- 2 bread pans
Pumpkin Bread Ingredients
- 2 Cups Flour (Sifted flour)
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Baking soda
- 1 Tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 Tsp Ground cloves
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla extract Pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 Cups Salted butter
- 2 Cups White Sugar
- 2 Cups Pumpkin puree Can be made with canned pumpkin
- 1/2 Cup Sour cream
- Baking Spray
Cream Cheese Filling
- 1 Egg Room temperature
- 4 Oz Cream cheese Softened/room temperature
- 1/4 Cup White granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp All purpose flour Does not have to be sifted
Pumpkin Bread Steps
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Spray the bread pans liberally with Baker’s Joy or other baking spray
- Cream the butter while the mixer is on low
- Add the sugar
- Add the 2 eggs. Continue to Mix on Low
- Add the vanilla extract
- Whisk The Dry ingredients in a separate bowl (flour/cinnamon/cloves/baking soda/baking powder/salt)
- Add 1/2 of the flour mixture to the mixing bowl (on low/medium speed)
- Mix until fully incorporated
- Add the other 1/2 of flour mixture. Mix until incorporated.
- Add the pumpkin. Mix until incorporated.
- Then add 1/2 cup of sour cream.
- Only full incorporated add only HALF of the batter to each pan. Making sure to leave plenty of space to add the cream cheese and the rest of the batter.
Cream Cheese Filling
- In a separate bowl add all of the ingredients to the bowl mixing on low.
- Once fully creamed and incorporated.
Completing the Pumpkin Bread
- Add the cream cheese to the half of the bread pan to the top layer. Gently dollop using a spatula and possible butter knife.
- Evenly spread to the cream cheese across the bread.
- Add the rest of the bread batter to the top of the cream cheese.
- Bake on 325 for 45 min or until toothpick comes out even.
- Allow to cool thoroughly (At least 30 min) before cutting into or slicing the bread.