Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas Instant Pot ¼ cup chopped…
Hey frenns!!! I am continuing my Mardi Gras/cajun style recipes. Today we are taking it down-home with Red Beans and Rice.
I made this in the instant pot but I include some modifications below if you do not have an instant pot and want to make it on your stove.
You can modify this recipe using a stock pot and boiling the red beans the traditional manner. I would still saute the vegetables in the same pot as you’re cooking the red beans and rice. Also you will need to soak your beans the night before or at least a few hours prior to boiling.
Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice
- Instant Pot
- Red Beans (Kidney Beans) Do not need to pre-soak but can place in water to clean the beans and discard any broken pieces
- 1 pk Turkey Sausage (sliced)
- 1 Green Pepper (chopped)
- 3-4 stalks of celery (chopped)
- 1/2 onion (chopped)
- Olive oil (to sauté)
- 1-2 tbsps Ghee Butter
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ black pepper
- ¼ tsp (or less) of thyme
- ¼ tsp Cajun Seasoning (more or less depending on taste of Cajun Seasoning (I used slap ya’ mamma)
- Place the instant pot on the sauce function
- Add tablespoon of olive oil once it gets hot (it will beep) add the turkey sausage
- Allow to cook evenly on both sides.
- Be sure to scrape any pieces of sausage from the bottom
- Once sauteed add green peppers, onion and celery
- Saute until softened (may need to add a little more olive oil but the turkey sausage should make it’s own oil)
- Add seasoning (cajun seasoning/onion powder/garlic powder) I added each seasoning separately stirring and sautéing the entire time.
- Add red beans and stir together contents
- Add oregano, black pepper, and thyme
- Add ghee butter (this to thicken the gravy)
- Add 5 cups of vegetable broth (should be the entire box) or water
- Place the instant pot on manual 25 min to start
- Allow to natural release
- If you do not like the consistency after taking top off, add more time in 10-15 min increments. I ultimately added another 25 min. Once the beans are soft enough it is done.
- Enjoy over rice!