Air Fryer Catfish Po'Boy
Hey frenns!!! I’m continuing my tribute to Mardi Gras -N’awlins style recipes. I’ll tell you all the truth this recipe is a little more intense than any other recipe I’ve ever shared. But I believe you can do it!!
I have included every single step and I talk you through it. Give it a try and tell me how you owned the day!!
Please note that in this recipe I air fried the catfish And that is absolutely an option. However in this recipe I fried the catfish.
- 5-6 Catfish filet
- Peanut oil
- Cajun seasoning (optional)
- Louisiana Cajun batter
- 2 cans Rotel diced tomato
- 1 can tomato sauce 12 oz
- 1 can stewed tomato 12 oz
- 1 can cream of celery soup 12 oz
- 1 whole Green pepper (chopped)
- 3-4 chopped Celery stalks
- ½ cup onion
- ¼ tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 bag onion soup mix
- Olive oil
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2-3 tbsp butter
- 2-3 cups water
- 4 cups vegetable stock
Steps for catfish:
- Wash the catfish
- Pat dry with a paper towel and set aside
- Spray fish with olive oil and lightly season with Cajun seasoning
- Create a shallow bath in a dish with the breading mixture
- Place the catfish in the mixture and batter the fish completely.
- Fry catfish in peanut oil once oil is hot enough
- Fry for approximately 10-12 min enduring the fish is cooked throughout evenly
- Set aside
Steps for courtboullion:
- Using a large heavy bottom pot place the stove on medium heat
- Put olive oil in the bottom of the pot
- On medium heat sauté the trinity vegetables(green peppers, onions, and celery).
- Be sure not to allow the vegetables to caramelize or burn. Add Cajun seasonings and black pepper.
- Once softened add butter
- Then add flour then stir
- The color should be yellow
- Add onion soup mix the color will then the brown
- Add 2 cups of water
- Stir slowly it will resemble gravy and be thick, that’s ok it will thin as you add other ingredients
- Add can of cream of celery soup
- The stove should have been on medium heat the entire time
- Your roux is made
- Turn the heat down slightly and add the cans of rotel diced tomatoes, stewed tomatoes and tomato sauce
- Add the entire box of vegetable broth
- Cover for approximately 30-40 min, it’s ok to lift the top and stir from the bottom of the pot to the top to ensure no contents are burning at the bottom
- Break up fried catfish into smaller pieces
- Take cover off pot and add the catfish to the stew, DO NOT STIR. The catfish may sink to the bottom but that’s ok do not stir anymore at this point
- Turn stove temperature up higher and allow contents to boil
- May need to take the cover off and skim the fat off of the top
- Turn heat down. Allow to sit for another 25-30 min cooking low and slowly
- Serve and enjoy over grits or rice!