How to make buttermilk biscuits
Taking my biscuits up just a notch! If you saw my previous YouTube video, you have the basics for buttermilk biscuits.
This time, I added fresh blueberries. It’s just a few more extra ingredients to this recipe and a glaze (if you want). A little sweetness to your #breffis!
Ingredients and recipe below.
Blueberry Buttermilk Biscuits with Lemon Glaze
- Plastic spatula (tip: I often put it in the freezer before using so it’s cold)
- biscuit cutter
- pastry cutter (or fork)
- Cast Iron Skillet
- cookie sheet
- 2 cups flour plus 1/2 cup for dusting
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter (cold) Plus 2 tablespoons to melt
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk or whole milk (cold)
- ⅓ cup sugar
- Lemon zest (optional)
- 1-1½ cups of blueberry
- Softened cream cheese
- 1 stick softened butter
- ½ cup powdered sugar (or less)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- juice from a whole lemon
- Preheat oven to 425
- Take 2 tablespoons of butter and place in cast iron skillet in oven to melt
- Add the flour. Whisk. (Special Note: I do not pre-sift my flour as I use White Lily flour and it’s pre-sifted but you should sift your flour if you so desire so it is light).
- Add the baking soda. Whisk.
- Add the baking powder. Whisk.
- Add the salt. Whisk.
- Add the sugar. Whisk.
- Cut 6 tablespoons of cold butter into flour mixture. The flour should be crumbly once the butter is completely cut in.
- Create hole in the middle and pour cold milk slowly into dry mix.
- Stir flour into milk from the outside to in. I use the plastic spatula for this.
- Once dough is mixed, add in blueberry slowly be careful not to over mix or burst any blueberry.
- Have cookie sheet prepared with shallow 1/2 cup of flour.
- Once biscuit and milk mixture completely mixed (should be sticky like glue) with your spatula take the full amount of wet mixture and add to dry flour on cookie sheet. Roll around in shallow flour to create a larger “dough.” It should be dry on the outside, wet on the inside.
- Flatten into a square (can use a rolling pin but I prefer to use my hands).
- Fold to create multiple layers
- Create a “biscuit” by cutting with top of cup or medium biscuit cutter.
- Will have to continue folding the dough every time you make a cut in the mixture. Repeat until all dough is used.
- Take cast iron skillet out of the oven. The butter should be melted.
- Place biscuits inside skillet beside each other.
- Place in oven for 8-12 min until brown on the bottom. And lightly brown on the top.
(Optional Steps for glaze below): While biscuits are in the oven, prepare the glaze.
- Juice the lemon. Set aside.
- Using a mixture cream the creamed cheese, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Add the lemon juice at the end.
- Once the biscuits are out of the oven- glaze the biscuits.
- Serve warm.