This recipe is so easy- even your kids can do it! Turkey Sausage in the…
Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits
(Ok, so listen I’ve been searching the ends of the Pinterest internet for a biscuit recipe that works and I’ve tried like all of them 😂😂😂) I mixed them up and this is what I came up with.
- Cast Iron Skillet
- cookie sheet
- a large bowl
- Wooden spoon
- 2 cups all purpose flour Plus 1/2 cup or less for dusting
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 tbsps unsalted butter (cold) Plus 2 tablespoons to melt
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk or whole milk
- 1 tsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 425
- Take 2 tablespoons of butter and place in cast iron skillet in oven to melt <once oven has reached temp>
- Mix dry ingredients in layers.
- 2 cups of flour/baking soda/baking powder/ salt
- Then whisk
- Cut 6 tablespoons of cold butter or shred using a shredder
- use a pastry cutter to combine with the dry ingredients.
- Bread should be crumbly
- Then add first cup of buttermilk (or milk) and mix with dry biscuit mixture using wooden spoon.
- If using buttermilk it’ll soak immediately so pour slowly. If you go too fast, it soak up will look dry. If too dry, Add 1/2 cup
- Also can add 1/2 cup either way. The point is, the Mixture should be wet.
- Then add 1tsp of sugar.
- If using whole milk may not need to pour as slowly and the other 1/2 cup of milk may not be needed. But either way- mixture should be wet.
Have cookie sheet prepared with shallow flour. Perhaps a cup or cup and a half I eye ball it.
- Once biscuit and milk mixture mixed with your wooden spoon. Take the full amount of wet mixture and add to dry flour on cookie sheet. Roll around in shallow flour to create a larger “dough.” Should create layers. Then flatten a little for cutting.
- Create a “biscuit” by cutting with top of cup. I use a regular cup.
- It will create a “hole” in the dough. Fold over and keep going with dough
- Will have to continue rolling the dough. So it’s “layered” enough to create a biscuit
- It’ll be dry/dusted on the outside and Moist on the inside.
- Take cast iron skillet out of the oven. The butter should be melted.
- Take the one biscuit and place it inside the skillet. Can place the biscuits right beside each other.
- Rinse and repeat with dough and cutting into biscuits. Until all biscuits placed in cast iron skillet. They will cook up together.
- Once all in skillet, Lightly glaze raw biscuits with mayonnaise. Not a thick layer just a thin layer.
- Place in oven for 10-12 min until brown on the bottom. And lightly brown on the top.
- Makes approximately: 8-10 biscuits or less if you want them “tall)
Leave a Reply