How to make crispy fried chicken
Hey Frenns! I love black-eyed peas ONE time of year. ONE time of year, I eat black eyed peas. And like most of you I eat my fair share of black-eyed peas at the New Year.
I’m not sure why I rarely have a taste for them outside of the New Year but it’s probably because I eat SO MUCH of them at the start of the year. LOL
In the African American community, the New Year’s traditional meal is black-eyed peas (usually on a bed of rice), collard greens or cabbage, and some kind of fried chicken (or some eat pork) and of course corn bread.
The above has been my traditional meal for New Years. It’s my last piece of gluttony before I “get right” for the New Year. The process of making black-eyed peas is pretty intense. And in typical Drea’ fashion- I wanted to make this recipe easier and more modern with the same traditional taste.
When I first got my instant pot, I was convinced I was going to use it almost daily. Lol Then I eventually realized it didn’t make sense to use it daily. However my MOST popular YouTube video to DATE…is Black-eyed Peas in the instant pot. And for good reason. Black-eyed peas is one of those great recipes but it takes soooooo long traditionally. And instead of making them ALLLLLLL day….why not make these black-eyed peas in the instant pot for 1/4 of the time?
This recipe is SO easy and it was in my early YouTube Days. LOL I sometimes cringe when I watch it but hey…it is what it is. This video and recipe has helped thousands and I’m hoping it helps you too.
Enjoy and Happy New Year!
Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas
- Instant Pot
- ¼ cup chopped green peppers
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- ¼ cup celery
- 3 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 3 cups water
- Smoked turkey(optional)
- 1 bag uncooked blacked eyes(unsealed)
- Olive Oil
- Ghee butter (optional)
To Taste: measure out a tbsp of each and add to taste.
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- season salt
- black pepper
- Take bag of blacked eyes peas and rinse (you are not pre-soaking these peas)
- Chop onions, green peppers and celery
- Turn instant pot on to sauté function and add olive oil.
- Add celery, onion and green peppers and sauté until soft (should take no more than 3 min)
- Add rinsed black eyed peas to the softened celery, onion and green peppers and stir up.
- Make sure to scrape up the bottom of the pan and add the scrapings from the bottom to the peas (that’s the flavor)!!!!
- Add some ghee butter (I use ghee instead of regular butter). It “thickens” the sauce.
- Add 3 cups of chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- Add 3 cups of water
- Then add smoked turkey (optional)
- Stir all together then close the seal. Set to manual 25 min.
- Allow to natural release for 10 min (this releases the pressure of the peas).
- Fluff and stir the peas and serve!
- I use ghee butter as opposed to regular butter.
- You do not need to use chicken broth you can use vegetable broth (if making vegetarian).
- You do not need to use smoked turkey it’s optional.
- Seasonings are to taste, I sometime add Cajun seasoning for a little spice!