How to make an easy bread pudding recipe
This is a COPY CAT recipe of the Magnolia Bakery. It went viral and a lot of people asked me to try it out. And I’ll tell y’all the truth- I’m not a fan of banana pudding but I was willing to try the recipe for #theculture
I will tell you guys after making this recipe, it’s a great likelihood I won’t make this recipe again. It’s just a LOT of steps but at the same time a relatively simple recipe to follow.
Copy Cat Magnolia Bakery Banana Pudding
- 1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1½ cups ice cold water
- 1 3.4oz box vanilla instant pudding mix
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4-5 barely ripe bananas (green bananas) sliced
- 1½ 12oz box Nilla Wafers
- Take the can of sweetened condensed mix and add to the mixer on low
- Slow add the 1 1/2 cups of ice cold water. The consistency will change.
- Mix the water and condensed in the mixer for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the vanilla instant pudding mix. Keeping the mixer on low. The color will change to yellow.
- Now place the contents into a large bowl and cover.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Take the 3 cups of heavy whipping cream and place in the mixer on medium/low until stiff peaks form (stiff peaks means when you take the mixer out of the liquid a peak will form)
- Add the pudding mixture (leave the refrigerator until ready to add to the mixture) to the whipping cream.
- Mix on low/medium until completely mixed. About 4-5 minutes. Set aside. The mixture will be “soupy” and loose”
- Thinly slice the bananas and place in a bowl so their easier to grab and stack.
Now prepare the dessert dish.
- First Layer Cookies
- Second Layer bananas
- Next layer- cream mixture
- Rinse and repeat until it reaches the top of the dish.
- Set aside a handful of cookies into a ziplock bag and crush them to add to the top
- Once the layers are made, place back in the refrigerator overnight again.
- Because this is a 2 day recipe it’s important to get the greenest bananas you can find. They will last longer and will not oxidize (turn brown).
- Some recipes say at least 4 hours for me overnight is best
- The second “setting” allows the pudding to thicken and the cookies to soften. Do not skip that step.
- The recipe is very tedious but it’s worth it. Do not try to make this recipe at the last minute. If you’re going to make it. Be prepared to wait at least 2 days before you consume.