A recipe for zesty italian pasta salad
Southern Chicken Salad
It’s about to be one day too many on those July 4th leftovers. If you’re anything like me, it’s cool the first day after- the second day after and maybe the third day if you mix it up. But by the 4th day post holiday with those leftovers- you are OVER IT DOT ORG.
But before you get to dumping aluminum foil in the garbage along with the good barbecue food you cook save a bit of that chicken for one of my favorite easy recipes.
This is a chicken salad recipe. Oh right blah blah chicken salad. But this chicken salad uses leftover grilled chicken as the base. The chicken has to be leftover because who is about to grill some chicken just for a chicken salad (dramatic pause because I have done that before).
In any event what I love about this recipe is the seasoning required is minimal. For one thing the seasonings have been marinating for 2-3 days so the grilled chicken is full of set in flavor that gives your chicken salad a unique taste that can only be duplicated with leftover smoked or grilled chicken.
The ingredients are super simple.
Leftover Grilled Chicken Chicken Salad
- 1-2 Pieces of grilled chicken chopped
- 1/2 green pepper chopped
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup dried cranberry
- 2 tbps garlic powder
- 1-2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cups mayonaise
- Chop the chicken in to smaller pieces. The chicken can be cold from the fridge.
- Chop the bell pepper and red onion and set aside
- Set aside the cup of mayo (be prepared to add a little more)
- Add all the ingredients with the exception of the mayonaise into a bowl and stir
- Add the mayo making sure to stir from the outside in
- Add the seasonings to the chicken salad making sure to taste along the way
- Allow to chill for one to two hours
- Enjoy on toasted bun or on a bed of lettuce
Let me know if in the comments below if you have ever transformed your leftovers in this way. I can’t wait to hear how you made your leftovers last one to two days longer (not much longer because this chicken salad is always a hit in my house)!
Leave a Reply