Taking my biscuits up just a notch! If you saw my previous YouTube video, you…
Perfect Easy Homemade Pie Crust
Hey frenns! I used this homemade pie crust to go with my Peach Cobbler. However, you can use this pie crust for ANY recipe that requires crust. To me, it’s fairly “simple” but of course with anything it takes practice.
Make sure you check out the video so you can get an idea of the technique as well as the texture of the dough when you’re making your own pie crust.
Homemade Pie Crust
- 2 cups sifted white flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1 1/2 cups ice cold water Add a cup and then add ice as the ice will melt and change the "volume" of water
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- Sift the flour and add to a metal bowl
- Add the 1 tsp of salt and whisk together
- Take the cup of butter and cut into smaller pieces
- Using a pastry cutter or fork cut the butter and vegetable shortening into the flour. The texture should be crumbly
- Create a well in the middle of the dough
- Add 1 tbsp of the ice cold water at a time. Stirring from outside in being sure to incorporate the dough with the water until the texture is solid and moist.
- Take 1/2 cup of flour and add to a clean surface
- Add the dough to the flour surfaced. Using a dough cutter to add the excess flour and fold the dough repeatedly. Be sure not to overwork the dough and work quickly as the warmth of your hands will warm the dough.
- Once formed into a solid ball. Cut the dough in half and place each half in seran wrap.
- If you so desire- you can freeze your dough at this point. It will keep for several months. If you're using them immediately, chill the dough in the refrigerator for 45 min.
- Once you’ve chilled the dough- place another half of cup of flour on a clean surface.
- Then add one roll of the chilled dough to the floured surface being sure to add flour to the rolling pin.
- Flatten the dough with the rolling pin to the desired shape of your dish.
- Cook and use as desired according to cooking instructions
Leave a Reply