A recipe on how to cook cabbage
When I was growing up, I did NOT like cabbage. I would eat it because it was on my plate (shout out to Black Mommas Everywhere)- but I did not like it. When I got to law school, I met my best friend and she made some of the best cabbage I had ever had. One day, I asked her how she makes her cabbage and she taught me. I’ve made it that way ever since.
The key (for me) is cabbage that is NOT mushy but crunchy. This quick method ensures that. I’ve also added carrots and chopped red potatoes but for a simple smothered cabbage the recipe presented is perfect.
I’ve spoken to a few people and they’ve told me they add cabbage to their greens. Comment below and let me know if you’ve ever added cabbage to your greens. I’ve never done that – if you do, let me know. I’ll try it!
Southern Smothered Cabbage
- 3-4 Tablespoons Olive Oil (Liberally added)
- 1 Large Head of Cabbage
- 1/3 Cups Green onions Chopped
- 1/3 Tablespoons Onion Powder To taste (approximate)
- 2 Tablespoons Seasoned Salt To taste (approximate)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 Green Pepper
- Slice Cabbage by first cutting it in half then slicing 1-2 inches.
- Wash and clean the cabbage. Splitting it into 2 piles.
- Clean the green pepper. Slice green pepper the long way. These should be in strips (similar to the peppers in a fajita)
- Clean the green onion. Then chop green onion.
- Add olive oil liberally to heavy bottom pot with a top.
- Turn the heat on medium heat.
- Add the green onion and green pepper to the olive oil. Begin to sauté but do not allow it to burn.
- Add 1 pile of the cabbage and liberally add the seasoned salt, onion powder and cracked pepper.
- Stir from the bottom to the top being sure to incorporate the green onions and green peppers. Stir for approximately 5 min and allow the cabbage to cook down and get soft.
- Add other pile of cabbage and season with seasoned salt, onion powder and black pepper. Stir the contents together. Turn the heat down to medium low and then cover.
- After about 10 min stir the cabbage. And cover again.
- If you want your cabbage crunchy and NOT mushy- turn the heat of the oven off and cover the pot. Serve hot immediately.