A recipe on how to make broccoli cheddar soup
- 5 cups vegetable broth chicken broth is an option but has a tendency to be salty
- 5 cups broccoli florets detached from the stem I used fresh broccoli not frozen
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 2 tbsp butter can use olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk can use whipping cream; or other types of milk (2%) or skim
- 1/2 tbsp garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup muenster cheese
- 8 oz can of cream of celery soup
Prepare the broccoli florets. I used fresh broccoli and not frozen so I had to chop the broccoli from the stems. It is not necessary to precook the broccoli.
Shred the carrots and cheese (or purchase preshreded, I like to shred my own ingredients) and set aside.
Add 2 tablespoons of butter on low to medium heat to melt. Add the garlic and diced onions. The onions should be cooked for approximately 2-3 min until soft.
Once the onions are soft add the flour, can of cream of celery soup and milk. This resembles making a roux. But you do not want the flour to turn darker you want to thicken it. Once the clumps are out of the flour. You should continue to stir as the ingredients are incorpoated. Add the cheese until it has melted.
Add the carrots and broccoli florets. This will first appear to be a cheese mound of vegetables. Stir until fully incorpoated.
Then add the 5 cups of vegetable broth. Stir and the cheese should “thin.”
Cover the dutch oven and cook under low/medium heat for at least 30 minutes. Make sure to stir frequently.