A recipe for collard greens in the instant pot that saves times but does not…
One year, I decided I would try to make greens in the instant pot and baby LISTEN. It was amazing. Greens in the instant pot are everything you wanted them to be but never knew you needed. These greens tasted like my Big Momma, Yo’ Big Momma, and your Nana came together to make the best pot of greens ever.
What I love the most about instant pot greens (besides the fact that it’s super quick) is that just out of the pot they taste as if they have been marinating ALL WEEK. That pressurizing process is PERFECT for greens.
Now, I very rarely (If ever) make greens the traditional way. That process is so long and besides you do NOT sacrifice taste or flavor.
Listen. I know just “saying” ‘I’ve been in this kitchen all day long.’ Makes you feel good. But believe it or not, there are no awards for the ‘longest amount of time spent in the kitchen.’ If there were I would have it by now (HA!). What people are interested in, is good taste.
Try this recipe, I guarantee you’ll love it.
Special note: You can use the instant pot method on any version of greens (kale/collards/turnips)
Instant Pot Turnip Greens
- Instant Pot
- Turnip greens and turnip roots
- 3½ cups vegetable broth
- ½ tbsp sweet onion (chopped)
- boiling meat (I use smoked turkey)
- ¼ cup butter
- season salt
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- Peel then chop turnip roots into smaller pieces
- Place smoked meat at the bottom
- Layer with half (or less) the greens.
- Add some of the chopped onions and turnip roots
- Season greens but just a little seasoning salt/garlic powder/onion powder
- Add another layer of greens/onions/seasoning etc
- Add the stick of butter (slices) on the second layer
- Once layered add broth
- Pour broth over the green “stack.”
- Turn on 25 manual
- Let it natural release for about 10 min